400 KV Ion Implanter
The instrument is an open air 400 KV ion implanter*, manufactured by National Electrostatics Corp. (NEC-Middleton WI, USA) with an ion source model 921 by Danfysik (Denmark) and an ion implantation stage by High Voltage Engineering Europa (The Netherlands). In this unique design, NEC took the best hardware and technology available on the market and put together a state-of-the-art instrument unique (as of 2008) in the world in terms of characteristics.
- Ion energy range: 30-400 keV (higher for multiple ion states)
- Ion Type: virtually anything from the periodic table of elements
- Ion current range: in excess of 10’s of uA depending on ion type
- Target chamber vacuum: 10 -8 Torr
- Sample temperature control: -196°C to 750°C
- Sample irradiation area: up to 6 inch2 with 4 or more wafers loaded simultaneous
- Uses: ion implantation, ion beam mixing
The Implant stage was built by High Voltage Engineering (HVEE) and allows for irradiations of up to four 6 inch wafers or up to five 4 inch wafer before loading/unloading with a range from liquid nitrogen temperatures to 8000 C.